You will need:
1 medium to large yam
5 stalks of scallion, finely chopped
1 avocado, diced
1 zucchini, sliced into thick round circles
6 or 7 button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium ripe tomato, diced
4 or 5 leaves of lettuce, chopped (red leaf or green leaf)
1 to 1 1/2 cups of my homemade sun dried tomato dressing
Creates 1 large serving or 2 smaller servings
2 medium sized pots with lids for steaming
2 steamer baskets
1 blender (for the sun dried tomato dressing)
1 large bowl
1) Chop the yam into bite size pieces. Do not peel (the skin of potatoes are extremely nutritious and with this recipe, leaving the skin on will not effect the flavor).
2) Using a steamer basket, steam the yams until they are soft (approximately 10 minutes - they are ready when you can easily run a fork through them)
*Cooking yams becomes incredibly easy and quick when you steam them. Steaming allows you to retain a maximum amount of nutrients. Also, the velvety texture is delicious! By far this is the healthiest method of cooking yams.
3) When you begin steaming the yams, you will silmutaneously begin steaming the sliced mushrooms
4) When the mushrooms have steamed for 5 minutes, add the sliced zucchini on top of the mushrooms (these veggies should be in a separate steamer from the yams)
5) Place the chopped lettuce into a big bowl:
6) Add diced tomato:
7) After the yams are done, add them to the bowl with the chopped scallion. Doesn't that burnished orange color look amazing?
8) Remove the steaming mushrooms and zucchini and add them to the bowl, along with the diced avocado:
9) Last you're going to add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of my sun dried tomato dressing:
10) Mix it up good!
This is a completely healthy, clean, nourishing yam recipe that will knock your socks off with its vibrant flavors.
My yam recipe can be served as a side dish or as a meal unto itself (I prefer it eat it by itself).
TIP: Healthy potato recipes like this one are excellent for chilly autumn and winter nights. This is a wonderful comfort food dish that is completely good for you and guilt free!